Doublet Opals


I wanted to rent this place and sell the most faboulous jewels in the world for the local and int'l market.

It is my first time to visit this store but not this branch the coz this one is closed I supposed. I was looking for a horseshoe diamond ring in yellow gold and white gold & I saw one I like from Gaisano for 36k pesos more or less.

So when I window shop canvassing for better cheaper rings I can't resist to enter this store coz I saw one their window display an attractive matching set of jewelries featuring black opal 
& diamond mounted in white gold. I knew black opals are very rare & in fact I have never seen any jewelry store that sells them so I was curious & went inside for further inspection & the salesladies showed me the ring and earrings & instantly I knew they are doublet opals! Selling for 138k pesos! If they are solid opals it would have costs more! Maybe 300k to 500k coz there aren't any red play of colors just dark blue and black bodycolort with bright patches of blues and greens & yellows. If there are patches of red in a solid black opal it woulf have costs millions of pesos!

But what is a doublet opal!? Well long story short a doublet opal is just a thin slice of real opal glued to with a transparent white quartz dome on top to make it look larger & bigger & to protect the thin slice of opals from breaking into half. What's even dissapointing is the jewelry store staff didn't told me the opals are doublet. So any unsuspecting shoppers could have bought it without realizing the opals are not entirely real. Some people like me considera doublet or triplets opals almost worthless. I woudn't pay 138k pesos for a doublet opal although the set of opal jewelriew are set with probably more than a carat weight of small diamonds in total and in 14kt or white gold & somewhat heavy the 138k pricetag is just a bit reasonable as everything these days are quite expensive and even doublets or triplet opals are now being used by designer jewelries selling for thousands of dollars!

But for me I wouldn't buy it coz I can do better! I can source a set solid opal jewelriew surrounded with diamonds & mounted in gold for the same price or even less!

Watch this video for more infos about doublet and triplet opals.

The purpose of doublet and triplet opals is that there's an alternative to the very rare and expensive solid black opals that most people can't afford but for me I don't see them as anything special.


To be continued...

And I Have A Perfect Song For That!🎼






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Ancient Philippine Goldsmith Technique

PDU30 2nd State Of The Nation Address👊

My Bet For Miss World Philippines 2017 👑